|Promise (Reprise) (SHS Version)|
yo but mermaid monster hybrids though
- vampire mermaids who prey on their own kind — when they get bitten, their scales fall off, their tails turn a slick and fleshy grey, a dorsal fin begins to sprout from their spine, and suddenly there’s six rows of teeth where once there was only one
- mermaid medusas who’ve got eels for hair and it’s not their gaze that can turn you to stone but their song
- fairy mermaids who’re born of spite and mischief — they’re small, the size of seahorses, and they speed through the currents causing mayhem and sometimes destruction
- were-mermaids who turn into huge, hulking great whites when the full moon filters through the deep waters, who cannot be restrained because what shackles can you find in the deep?, who leave blood and guts in their wake
Let’s go deeper
- Mermaid dryads tied to a whole kept forest, fins and hair perfectly camouflaged with their natural habitat. They drift serenely through their gardens until it is threatened, when the whole kelp forest turns on the attacker and drags it down to its death.
- Elementally aligned mermaids - air-aligned mermaids leap joyously from the water and glide on tough fins, punching through the surface of the water like tiny spears of silver-blue. Fire-aligned mermaids drawn to deep volcanic vents, blind and sickly-white with teeth that fit together like a sieve.
- Kraken mermaids.
friendly psa for all of Tumblr’s IDW fans that hopped in during MTMTE
please do not be excited for the new Drift miniseries
it is being written by Shane McCarthy, the original creator of Drift
you know how Drift is a comedic character in MTMTE and his spiritual looniness is played off as a comedic thing where nobody takes him seriously?
Drift was invented as a badass ninja samurai former decepticon fucklord that everyone instantly liked and respected for his cool ninja skills because he’s so cool and he’s a ninja.
James Roberts turned him in to the character you all fell in love with
Shane is most likely going to turn him back in to what he was.
Ok so this is directed at all the people are saying shit like this and it’s getting really boring.
Okay so I’m not a McCarthy fan but I like him a whole lot more than Mike Costa (now if he came back I WOULD be very upset) because at least McCarthy accepts robots have feelings to start off, he doesn’t carry the lazy ideal of a lot of past TF writers that Autobots are all good and Decepticons are all bad. McCathys does have a huge problem (most seen in AHM) with having lots of build up and then not knowing what to do with that build up and just letting things end. I’d say he’s not a brilliant writer but I don’t find his writing disgustingly bad.
Also McCarthy said in a interview that he really likes the direction JRo took Drift in MTMTE, liked the relationship JRo had written with Drift and Ratchet and explicitly said him and Roberts talked and when he was writing the series. Sure, McCarthy may do a lot of things different to what JRo may have done if he was writing this mini series but you can’t have JRo so you’re going to have to deal with another writer doing this.
He is not my favourite writer by any stretch of the imagination but I remember when people said they hated the “new hippy Drift” when MTMTE first started because JRo made his character completely out of character from what came before MTMTE. If you’re looking of examples of writers glossing over characterisations of characters then look at MTMTE to start off. (And no one bats and eye when MTMTE does it, weird that.) I adore MTMTE but it is actually one of the real negatives of MTMTE’s writing.
Yes Empire of Stone could very well be shit. Yes Empire of Stone could pull a classic McCarthy and have a shitty abrupt ending. Yes it could be bland. If it’s any of these things I’m gonna call it out
But can we stop with the idea that McCarthy doesn’t know what happened to Drift’s character in MTMTE or that he’s wrote this without talking to JRo please?